PRIMARY SCHOOL OF AYIA MARINA, LEROS
Associated Schools of UNESCO
ABDİ İPEKÇİ peace and friendship prize
"Nikolaideio Parthenagogeio" (est. 1890)
"Malachieio Nipiagogeio (est. 1912)
The Primary School of Agia Marina, Leros, was created in 1970 through the integration of the two historical Schools of the island, “Nikolaidion” and “Malachiion”. This explains why it is housed in two school buildings.
The school has one hundred and sixty-five students and sixteen teachers.
There are twelve (12) classrooms in the two buildings.
In the “Malachiion” there are two rooms used for various purposes.
The first is a computer lab, and a projection room, whose tape library consists of 100 tapes with about 500 subjects. In this room there is also a loft which houses the Library consisting of approximately 2500 books and Encyclopedias and numerous magazines.
The second room is used as a science lab, a store-room for educational equipment and photocopy machines.
In this building there is also a classroom for the children with learning difficulties and the Headmaster’s office.
The “Nikolaidion” has got a very large school yard with a basketball court, a playground and an open-air chessboard.
ACTIVITIES – PROJECTS
- UNESCO Associated Schools (since 1990)
- Student / School publications
- Environmental Education:
1) 2000: “Our Architectural Heritage”
2) 2001: “Traditional Games”
3) 2001: “Our Sea” (by the Special Class)
4) 2003: “Water on Leros”, “The Olive Tree”
- Traffic Education (2003)